NYLCA Equity and Diversity Scholarship – April 2024
The New York Lactation Consultant Association Equity and Diversity Scholarship was created to reduce the barriers to accessing the field of lactation for BIPOC communities in New York. We recognize that there is a tremendous need to diversify the pool of individuals providing lactation care to reflect the community in which they serve. It is with this aim that we cultivated the creation of this scholarship. We believe that everyone should have access to high quality and culturally responsive lactation care. We further believe that it is important to provide culturally responsive care to meet the diversity of needs that New York families require during their prenatal and postpartum infant feeding journeys. This scholarship will provide a full scholarship to cover the cost of taking the initial IBCLC examination (no other costs will be covered).
- A member of a BIPOC community
- A member of New York Lactation Consultant Association (NYLCA)
- Eligible to sit for the IBLCE exam (completion of Health Sciences, a minimum of 95 hours lactation specific education, including 5 hours of communications skills, as well as relevant clinical experience and adherence to the Code of Professional Conduct for IBCLCs by attestation)
- Confirmation from your mentor of your eligibility to sit for the IBCLC exam
- Two letters of recommendation – 1 from your mentor and another recommendation from someone who is familiar with your work in the field of lactation.
- A resident of New York
Applications will be reviewed by the selection committee. The selection committee will be made up of NYLCA members, including members of the board.
Application deadline is Nov 1st 11:59 pm.