North Central Breastfeeding Task Force
11/18/22 Meeting Minutes
- Intros/ Updates
- Margaret Saltysiak- Chair of NCBTF, UCSD Lactation Instructor, NILCA Treasurer.
- Erin Stisser- New PC at McHenry Co. WIC
- Glendean Burton- MCH Nurse Consultant SIDS of IL
- Martha-Margaret Cotton- IPHI
- Courtney Adams- Lake Co. HD
- Summer Richards- WellChild Kane Co.
- Michelle Esquivel- ED WellChild/ WIC serving Northern Kane County
- Nicole Jaramillo- IBCLC, Rush Copley
- Rose Stromer-WIC, WCHD
- Pam Chay- IBCLC, Lake Forest Hospital
- Ivora Hearn
- Nancy Heller
- Ruth- Aunt Martha’s WIC
2. Legislative update
3. Summer: Mini Grants
- Would like the group to think of ideas to suggest for mini grant use
4. NCBTF/ NILCA joint virtual conference
- Conference information:
- Date: Friday, February 17, 2023
- Tentative Speakers:
- Dr. Cindy Rubin, IBCLC
- Dr. Juei Lee- Pediatric Dentist- Tethered Oral Structures
- Meghan McMillin, MS, RDN, IBCLC- The Lactation Dietitian- Breastfeeding and Allergies
- Lisa Lahey- Resistance, Resilience, and Recovery
- Deb Lawrence- Fascia release and breastfeeding
- Roundtable DiscussionConference webpage:
- CEUS: apply via the state for CERPS, and CEs for RNs and RDs.
- Work with Dr. Miena Hall to see if we can get physician CE credits through her organization.
5. Task Force Building and Outreach
- Margaret is working on a community assessment for the Task Force to better understand the resources in our service area and to identify gaps.
- To understand:
- Our population of mothers
- Healthcare support in the area
- Breastfeeding support in area
- This will be shared with the group for additional input.
- Once the assessment is done, a plan for outreach to all breastfeeding professionals, advocates, and providers in our service area will be formulated. This will require the help of Task Force members tomake connections between their contacts in the area and the Task Force.
- To understand:
- Would like to move toward identifying a number of specific goals for each year that we work towards accomplishing. Other projects can be completed, but we will have a certain number of very specific goals that we work to achieve, as well. Ie. Helping to strengthen the breastfeeding community/ resources after discharge in Will County. (or something similar to this)
- Develop a strategic plan for promoting and maximizing mini grants.
- Also, create a formal process around how applications are approved.
7. Other News
- Please check out the website if you have not already: https://northcentralbreastfeedingtaskforce.com
- Facebook: New Facebook page. Please follow and share. https://www.facebook.com/NCBTF
- Mini talk: Margaret will try to find speakers to do a mini talk or update for each Task Force meeting moving forward. Please send any ideas or offers to speak to Margaret at email@example.com
- Stories/ pictures: If your group has received a mini grant in the past, please share stories or pictures to be added to the website!
- Next Meeting: January 13th
- Webinars- Several upcoming webinars listed on the website
- Action Items:
- Please help us understand all the breastfeeding support in our service area. Request for information coming. Please give any information you have.
- Continue thinking of ways we can do outreach to businesses, etc. to educate about IL breastfeeding law. This could be one of our specific goals for the year.
- Please feel free to send me any events or info that would be helpful for others to see and I can add to the website!