The Pregnant Workers Fairness Act: What You Should Know
At a Glance:
- The Pregnant Workers Fairness Act gives workers the right to receive reasonable accommodations, like light duty, breaks, or a stool to sit on, for pregnancy, childbirth recovery, and related medical conditions, including lactation, unless it would be an undue hardship on the employer.
- The law goes into effect on June 27, 2023.
- Employees are also protected from retaliation under the law.
- Workers interested in learning more about their rights or seeking help can call A Better Balance’s free, confidential legal helpline at 1-833-NEED-ABB (1-833-633-3222) or visit our Get Help webpage.
- The Pregnant Workers Fairness Act’s passage is one of the biggest advances in civil rights law in decades.